View of Plot A2 (which will include a new Leisure Centre) from the new High Street by Canada Water Dock
Construction of the first buildings of the Canada Water development started in the autumn and is due to complete by the end of 2024. (The entire development will take ten to thirteen years to build).
We appreciate the scale of what we are delivering can be hard to navigate. As part of our ‘Tell me about’ series, we are spotlighting different parts of the development and what they’ll deliver for the local area. Plots A1 and A2 form part of the first phase of what we’re building.
About the first phase of development
The first phase includes what are known as plots A1, A2 and K1. Together, they’ll provide:
- 265 new homes (25% of these will be social rented homes in plot K1, and a further 10% will be intermediate affordable)
- New offices, shops, cafes and restaurants
- New public spaces including include a public square in the Dock Office Courtyard, the first part of the new high street along the western edge of Canada Water Dock, and a new pedestrian link from the high street to Lower Road
- A new Southwark Council Leisure Centre
What are plots A1 and A2?
Plots A1 and A2 are located in what is currently the part of Surrey Quays Shopping Centre car park by Canada Water station and Canada Water Dock. Alongside the new public spaces above, they’ll deliver the first part of the new town centre.
View of Plots A1 and A2 from Canada Water Dock
A 35-storey building providing 186 new homes (including intermediate affordable homes), as well as office space and shops and restaurants at ground floor level.
View of Plot A2 from the new High Street by Canada Water Dock
Leisure Centre entrance view (Plot A2)
Up to six storeys in height, the building will provide new office space, as well as shops and places for eating and drinking. Importantly, it will also provide a new Southwark Council Leisure Centre, with an 8-lane swimming pool, a learner pool, gym, exercise studios, sports courts, soft play area and a café.
What is the timeline?
Our construction contractors for plots A1 and A2 are Wates and Mace respectively. The timeline for the construction of the plots is as follows:
- Early 2021: started site preparatory works, including utility diversions, site preparation and logistics work
- Autumn 2021: construction of the buildings and spaces started
- End of 2024: Target completion date for Plots A1, A2 and the new public spaces they’ll be delivered alongside.